Monday, April 9, 2007

Day 2 - White Pelican Return










This is an American White Pelican returning to Green Bay. I have been trying for years to get a good shot of these birds which I only first saw here about 6 years ago. Yesterday I went down by the bay in hopes of getting a shot for the challenge. There were only two birds there and both came near! This was shot yesterday 4/9/07. They migrate every year and are nesting on some small islands in the Bay. When I first saw them some years ago, I couldn't believe my eyes. They are huge and a bright white with that black fringe on the back. What a treat to have them here.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You will be so happy in the upcoming 28 days. Finding spring everywhere you look, where you wouldn't think of it if you didn't had this theme, would at least put a smile on my face everyday.

Catching the pelican in flight with that detail is something I will never be able to do.

...it might be because we don't have any pelicans here, but probably not....

Ziaphra said...

Nice capture!

Eury said...

oh, what a gorgeous capture. The movement and the detail and all that lovely orange, it's wonderful.

Nick said...

A beautiful bird! You have some great saturation here. I love the colors.

madame_ava said...

Ask anyone, I'm not big on shots of birds, but this is great! The orange really pops.

kimbomac said...

Love the bright colours of his legs and beak. They make a great contrast to the monotone hues of the rest of it. Great movement.

budmulla said...

oh how i love flying birds ... and this one is quite a treat!